Friday, April 24, 2009

Every IT woman needs a peer network

Gail Farnsley wrote this article on Computer World online titled "Every IT woman needs a peer network: Here's Why" discussing the importance of peer networking for females in IT. She covers four different types of groups: formal, informal, affinity (common interest), and one-on-one mentoring. I think this article precisely nails down on the theme of my blog--role models are key!

Gail Farnsley is currently a visiting professor at Purdue University and was the vice president of IT and CIO at Cummins Inc. She was also named one of Computerworld's Premier 100 IT Leaders for 2008. She is the perfect role model for females just starting out in the IT profession. She made it to the top and therefore, so can you too. At the end of her article she states, "My advice as a former CIO is simple: Seek out groups, and if you don't find one you like, start one of your own. Being part of a peer networking group might be the best career move you ever make." I completely agree with you, Gail.

Read the article for youself here!

Some questions to ponder.... Gail Farnsley mentions in her article that her best mentor was actually a male. Is this unusual when you think about your mentors? Does gender matter or do you just need the support and advice of an individual? When I think about my mentors, they did all happen to be female... I don't know if that was necessarily on purpose or if I subconsciously felt better have a female mentor or maybe I just didn't know any smart enough males at the time. :)


Image taken from http://www.krannert.purdue.edu/events/exec_forum/biographies/Spring2006/farnsley.asp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search