Monday, March 9, 2009

WOW Watch

Wowowow... good or bad? I have very mixed feelings about this website. I'm happy there is a website geared for women over 40 and I like some of the things the website does especially The Wow Watch. The Wow Watch focuses on women in the news and I like that. This week the top two stories are on Barbara Walters and Nawal al-Samarrai who is the Iraqi minister on women's affairs. Here is a quote from her in the article:

"I was convinced that I could improve conditions for women, but I ran into a wall … the occupation, terrorism, the economy collapsing … all that produced an army of widows, an increase in the number of divorcees, unmarried women, women beggars. Society is falling apart and me, I was a minister in a ministry without means, without power, without offices outside Baghdad. Women’s issues are not a priority for the government. But if women were helped, I think that half of the social problems would be resolved."

Now this is definitely a person that deserves to be highlighted and I'm glad that the Wowowow website did just that. However, some things I don't like about the website is the focus on the homepage of relationships and glamour. It kind of makes it seem just like another women's magazine like Marie Claire.

What do you think? Good for women's need for role models? Better than nothing? Or just plain terrible?

Image taken from www.littleextrasdiecuts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search