Monday, March 9, 2009

Top Secret Rosies

A documentary on the Top Secret Rosies is in post production. Here is a link to their trailer: http://topsecretrosies.wordpress.com/view-trailer/

The documentary is being produced by Leann Erikson and portrays the stories of the female mathematicians who were essentially human computers and aided in the victory of World War II. These women in this documentary worked full day shifts and had to work in total secrecy. I think it is very important that their story is being told especially when we get to follow what these females did after the war. They were probably the catalyst for women in the IT field. Some went on to become great programmers for the first computers. I would enjoy watching this documentary when it comes out. I hope that it gets advertised more as well. More people in the world need to recognize that females and computers do mix!

Also listed on the Top Secret Rosies websites is public presentations of screenings and lectures for the documentary. They are listed for March 17, 2009 at Temple University in Philadelphia PA and at BDPA in Philadelphia PA on March 18, 2009. I'm sure it would be amazing to check that out.

Another point I would like to make is that this documentary also emphasizes the importance of having key role models in this field. I've been thinking that is the direction I may be taking with this blog. By promoting all of these links to these wonderful and impressive women in the IT field someone is bound to click on them and learn more. I will feel that I have done my part in urging this field along a better path.

Image taken from www.arenaflowers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Custom Search